Greetings Modern Quilters!
Welcome new members! I’m so excited to see all the new faces at our meetings and even at Zoom Drop-in Sew. We do our best to welcome everyone whether you are new to quilting, an experienced quilter, or somewhere in between. We are so glad that you have found us.
This month we are celebrating our 7th Birthday. Our June meeting will be a hybrid meeting (in person at Arlington Library and on Zoom) with guest speaker, Sheila Frampton Cooper speaking to us via zoom. Sheila will also teach a 2-half-day class via Zoom on July 3rd and 10th, and we will join from our own sewing rooms. Remember to sign up early, as the class is limited to the first 20 quilters. The price is $45 for guild members and $55 for non-members.
It is hard to believe that we are already in May, 2022. Wasn’t QuiltCon just a few weeks ago? What a great turn-out of IEMQG members we had, and I’m already looking forward to next February 22-26, 2023 when we meet in Atlanta.
Speaking of QuiltCon 2023, be on the lookout for email from the MQG with a schedule of classes, lectures and sign-up dates. There will be a separate email regarding hotel reservations. The MQG block of rooms sells out quickly, so now is the time to start planning.
May Meeting Recap
Our May meeting was in person at the Lake Mathews Community Center where we were able to share ideas for up-cycling our left over quilt blocks (orphan blocks) and even swap a few blocks. Our talented members shared bags, pouches, rug mugs, pin cushions, pillow tops and even quilts made with left over blocks. Members also brought their left over blocks to the meeting for adoption by others who left the meeting inspired to give the adopted orphan blocks new life. It will be fun to see what members do with their adopted blocks. Maybe we’ll see some get turned in to Sew Powerful Purses! Go to www.sewpowerful.org to learn more about how these purses keep African girls in school! Give your finished purse to Laura Green before our August meeting.
- We need volunteers to help sell Opportunity Quilt tickets at the Long Beach International Quilt Festival August 4th – 6th. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t miss our Retreat on November 7th-10th at Vina De Lestonnac, $100 reserves your spot. Total cost is $410 for four nights and all meals.
- Join our 12 x 12 Challenge! learn more at 6 pm before Drop-in Sew.
- Please consider making a Sew Powerful Purse for African girls. These easy-to make purses keep girls in school! Get the free pattern and see how important these purses are at www.sewpowerful.org Finished purses can be given to Laura Green for delivery.
- Submit your MQG Make-a Difference Challenge quilts by August 8th. Go to the MQG Website for all the details. This year the theme is OCEANS to support Oceana, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and restoring the worlds oceans on a global Scale.
- Keep an eye on your email for QuiltCon announcements from the MQG!